Title : Corrosion of API P-110 carbon steel under a steam-flue gas environment as an enhanced oil recovery method in a Colombian field by means of simulation software.
Steam and flue gas injection is an enhanced recovery technique that has generated great interest in studies since it can take advantage of the gases produced in combustion processes, which increase the efficiency of crude oil recovery in the reservoir and diminish the emission of greenhouse gases. The operating conditions together with the injected fluids can result in a highly corrosive environment, degrading the properties of the materials used, in addition to operational and financial risks. This research focused on the study of API P-110 carbon steel exposed to a steam and flue gas atmosphere, at pressure and temperature conditions in the ranges of 800-1100 psia (55-75 bar) and 520-560 °F (270-290 °C) respectively, in order to understand the synergy between pressure and temperature and the influence of each variable in the corrosion process. From the conditions described above, a simulation stage in HSC Chemistry software, was developed to determine the theoretical corrosion products and the way they interact with each other and the effect of the other variables. It was found that temperature at a constant pressure generated a decrease in the amounts formed of Fe2O3 and FeCO3, and a greater formation of Fe3O4. When evaluating the increase in pressure at constant temperature, a greater amount of Fe2O3 and FeCO3 and a reduction of Fe3O4 was observed.
Audience Take Away:
- Explain how the audience will be able to use what they learn?
The audience will learn about the problems of Corrosion when is applied flue gas environment as an enhanced oil recovery method in a Colombian field and how they could mitigate and decrease the associated risks.
- How will this help the audience in their job? Is this research that other faculty could use to expand their research or teaching? Does this provide a practical solution to a problem that could simplify or make a designer’s job more efficient? Will it improve the accuracy of a design, or provide new information to assist in a design problem? List all other benefits.
- The audience will learn techniques and methods for identifying the corrosion problems in the oil industry.
- This research can be used for applications in research or teaching
- This research provides new information to assist in design problems